Nature is an incredibly powerful aspect of classroom environment design. It provides an infinite supply of experiences. It also conveys a sense of calmness and a home-like quality to provide a conducive learning environment for children.
Therefore, we decided to make number posters from sticks and pebbles (in 2019). Note: This is a great activity that can be done while still maintaining social distancing between students!! Add to the activity by taking the class outside for a much-needed breather and break to collect the pebbles and sticks. You can then add in additional objectives prior to gluing them such as counting, sorting, placing in length or size order, patterning, etc.
This activity not only brought in some nature to the environment but it was also incorporated multiple learning targets:
- Numerals- how they are formed= straight and curved lines
- The vocabulary of horizontal, vertical and diagonal
- 10 Frame
- Measurement: measured with cubes to determine the length of the stick needed
- One-to-one correspondence
- Working together collaboratively
- Sharing and taking turns